- Wicked Olde formed in mid-2013 as a trio featuring Ahnika Emery (fiddle), Tim Noone (harmonica, guitar, percussions & vocals) and Ray Sheehan (guitar & vocals). Coming from a variety of musical backgrounds, they combined Celtic music (Ray & Ahnika) with bluegrass, blues, and old-timey music (Tim), and a fair smattering of acoustic pop and folk (Ray & Tim). They liked what they heard and so did listeners.
- In June 2014, Heather Butler (also a Celtic music friend of Ray’s) joined on mandolin, fiddle, and vocals. Heather, in turn, introduced the group to Brigitte DeHaven on lead vocals, keyboard, percussions, and bass.
- Wicked Olde continued to perform as a quintet through early 2015. With its performance at the Mid-Atlantic Bluegrass Festival in February 2015, Ahnika took a hiatus from the group to pursue her other passion—competitive archery (we’re following you, Ahnika).
- The group is now a quartet featuring Heather Butler (fiddle, mandolin & vocals), Brigitte DeHaven (vocals, keyboard, percussions & bass), Tim Noone (harmonica, guitar & vocals), and Ray Sheehan (guitar & vocals).
- The result: Strong instrumental teamwork with 3-part and 4-part harmonies. We hope you like it.
Raised in an Irish American neighborhood, Ray naturally gravitated toward traditional Irish folk songs and the Celtic jigs and reels, but had to go through 30 years of the Beatles, Byrds, and CSN to get there. A founding member of Fairfax's Celtic group Cool McFinn in 2002, he and Tim formed Wicked Olde in 2013 as a vehicle for exploring all of our musical influences. Ray, a very retired Federal attorney, occasionally teaches classes in Federal procurement ethics and lectures on government corruption in American history. Primarily, however, his profession is a very poor golf game.
Harmonica, Guitar, Vocals
Dr. Tim Noone is well-known to faculty and students at Catholic University as a philosophy professor. However, he is also well-known, here and elsewhere, for being accomplished on the harmonica. Raised on blues, country, folk, and bluegrass, Tim has been studying and exploring those musical styles for over 40 years. Tim is also now involved in Celtic music through Wicked Olde.
Fiddle, Mandolin, Vocals
Heather chose a career in music therapy so she could use her skills and joy of music to assist those with disabilities. She moved to the Shenandoah Valley, where she was exposed to old time, bluegrass, country, and Celtic music. She currently plays in several ensembles, including Wicked Olde and occasionally in Ray’s Celtic group Cool McFinn. Heather is the Director of the Newtown Music Center where she teaches a variety of instruments to students of all ages and runs cultural events that help to bring educational opportunities to the entire community.
Vocals, Keyboard, Percussion, Bass
Brigitte has performed diverse musical styles including contemporary with the duo Sweet Stuff, classical and sacred with the National Cathedral Choral Society and Sweet Adelines, and is now exploring the eclectic. Brigitte sang in church and at local events from the time she could talk. She began piano lessons at age six, and has taught piano, served as pianist/organist, and directed adult and children’s choirs since she was a teen! Brigitte has taught elementary through high school music and math and is now focusing on her private studio in northwest Virginia.